[C38] glass work

Rod and Patti Headlee ja38 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 21 08:18:51 EDT 2006

Hi group,

I'm sorry I'm tech challenged, and posting these e-mails from Marina Palmira in La Paz, through their wifi system. the sytem is spotty at best so I cut and past from word or type real fast (for me), before it punts me.

The glass work that has been done on JA is at the bottom mof the main bulkhead, the one the chainplates are attached to. The starboard side had what can best be described as coving in mat across the plywood to fiberglass connection and it continues around along the inside front of the settee storage aft to the back end of that compartment. This was done by the previous one of owners.

The port side settees had work done where the 3 cubby hole storages meet the hull. We had big stress cracks on the backsides of 2 of these compartments. We had the work done just before we left. The guy used surfboard resin, with 3 or 4 layers of matt and claimed all aftermarket repairs shold be done with this resin because it is flexible. he filled the areas behind the original work with a mixture of resin and filler, as they were hollow, before putting down the matt. I'll try and find his card if anyone is interested in using him in the future.

I recall when we got these cracks, I was over canvassed and driving off large waves between Angels Gate and Catalina Island.:) I put JA through a lot of "stress checks" when we first got her just to see what she could take. She is only our 2nd sailboat and we came from a waterski/hot boat background and tend to ride everything hard I get my hands on. We are pleased with Joint Adventure and plan on keeping here for years to come.