[C38] Leaks

eyriepg at comcast.net eyriepg at comcast.net
Wed Apr 26 00:51:37 EDT 2006

Marci,

I've had some leaks but the only one you mentioned that I  have experienced is around the mast where it enters the deck.  I eliminated that leak by putting a little bit of polysulfide sealant around the inside of the mast collar where it is hose clamped around the mast.  Other people have had success with the Spartite system which builds a plug around the mast where it goes through the partners.

Your more serious leaks are through the deck where the plywood core could separate from the fiberglass and also rot.  The repair is covered well in Don Casey's book Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair.  The chapter on preparing a cored deck for new hardware and sealing chainplates is right up front on pages 14 and 15.  I have no connection with the book or author but it is a good inexpensive reference book.

Phil Gay
C38 049 Que Linda
Everett, WA