[C38] leaks (thru decking)

Charles Finn charles at finn.ws
Thu Apr 27 08:22:46 EDT 2006

Marci,
Welcome! Checks in the Mail has quite a history and I am sure you and
your crew will add another great chapter.  Deck leaks are the baine of
all boats and require continuing attention as the deck is an integral
structural part of our boat.  As the boat flexes, chain plates and the
mast boot area in particular must flex.  This challenges even the best
caulks, which too often give in without us noticing.  Water then begins
leaking into the substrates and eventually rots the wood.  You then
begin to see delamination, but this is often way after damage has
occurred.  The first thing I would do is buy a plastic mallet and start
pounding (tapping) the deck to familiarize yourself with what a good
deck sounds like compared to one with voids.  A surveyor can do this for
you, but this is a check you might want to do every year around any
openings above deck, so why not pick up the skill?   Its a pretty good
bet that you have some voids around the mast and this is a good place to
start (and learn).  If the mast is out, you can use a screwdriver or a
bent coathanger to probe the decking and clean out any wet or rotted
material.  Drill a couple of small (1/4 inch is fine) holes in the deck
above the high point of the voids (the deck slopes from centerline).
Use a hair dryer to dry out the void as best you can.  I have not done
this, but some people have used acetone to dry these areas (could be
pretty flammable and never use it in combination with a hair dryer).
Use clay to make a dam around the mast hole.  Then inject West's epoxy
into the drill holes to fill the void (read the directions on the can)!
I used the disposable caulking gun containers you can purchase
separately to inject the epoxy and they worked well.   Use martex and
gelcoat to fill the drill holes.  When filling any voids, remember that
gravity rules and the epoxy will find its way through any hole that is
not sealed in the cabin roof.  I use masking tape and then re-drill the
hole.    This is the basic procedure and Phil's advice to read the Casey
book is a must!

Deck leaks in other areas can be very problematic.  I thought I had a
window leak, but there was no change after completely replacing the
windows...  I finally traced the leak to the winch on the deck by the
mast and had to fill the void that years of leaking had produced.  So,
this can take a bit of sleuthing and you might want to look at the  deck
to hull seal as well as your cabin windows.  Taking the fairlead track
off is a major chore that requires two people and one of them will need
to be both strong and elastic...  (Max: if you think removing it was
bad... wait till you try reinstalling!)   Do keep track of the length of
track bolts as they vary.

I think the major problem with chainplate leaks is we try to fix the
leak by applying more caulk!  The truth is you cannot fix the leak
unless you first remove all the old caulk, dry out the area, fill any
voids and then re-caulk.   I used 4300 last time around with good
results so far.  I will NEVER use regular silicone ever again on my boat!

All the best,
Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Lake Champlain, VT