[C38] C38 close encounters east of Annapolis MD today 10/14/2006

Rob Cornelsen robcornelsen at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 15 00:47:13 EDT 2006

Today we were teaching a co worker to sail when another C38 appeared directly behind our stern (This appearance may have had more to do with our level of Becks consumption then other super natural events on tears in the space time continuum).
With her first tack under belt our novice skipper remained on the helm as we tacked south down the bay for a couple miles. We unfurled and sheeted in our 130 Genoa as the other C38 followed close behind.  It is truly amazing to see just how graceful C38s are as compared to the other yachts and It was great to see our sister yacht slicing through the waves just behind us.

At one point we were both passing an anchored naval ship when the ship dispatched an armed launch (Complete with a crew member manning the forward 50) in an apparent “you are un-welcome gesture”!

Well - what can I say - some times it pays to be the leading boat more than others.  This was especially true today since the launch focused their attentions on the trailing C38!

 Who ever was sailing their C38 east of Annapolis MD today please drop me a line.

Rob Cornelsen
Auspicious #223

P.S. Last December we have moved our yacht up to Annapolis (Mill Creek) from Solomon’s (Our old slip was directly across from where the Goose is now moored).