[C38] Stern Ladder and railing

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 3 21:30:18 EST 2006

Hello Russ,

I cut the upper bar leaving several inches on either side. I capped them off with a stainless cap with an eye so I could put a gate across if I wanted.  I have an outboard mount on the port side of the opening and if I had not left the stub the mount would not have worked because it requires a "tee" to mount on.

Cutting out the upper bar does add some flex to the pulpit but not too badly.  DON'T cut the lower bar out or you will have a weak pulpit.  The lower bar is no problem to step over and adds greatly to the stiffness of the pulpit.

Since I never made a gate, I use the starboard eye on the tube end to allow a hook to secure the ladder in the up position.  With the ladder secured,  I now have a gate in effect.

Tom Troncalli
The Renata #95
St. Pete, Fla