[C38] Stern Ladder and railing

Gus Woods gwoods at dineout.org
Fri Mar 3 22:19:31 EST 2006

We had the same rail style you have and initially asked a fabricator
about building a new one as a part of a lifeline replacement project but
he came up with the modifications that I assume you are talking about, a
piece turned down from the top rail to the middle on either side to keep
the assembly stiff. It was not expensive, he said the pieces that he
added were scrap.

>>> rduff at visteon.com 03/03/06 3:29 PM >>>
My boat has a stern ladder, but no opening in the aft railing.  Having
climb over the railing makes it pretty tough to get back aboard. I was
thinking of cutting an opening in the rail and then using sections of
stainless tube and the necessary fittings to create an opening similar
what I have seen in pictures of other C-38's.  Has anyone done this
before?
Are there any cons to doing this?  Also, if I do make this mod, should I
cut
out both horizontal sections so that you can just step right in, or
should I
leave the middle horizontal piece like I see in the pics?

Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Russ Duff
Catalina 38, Hull #112