[C38] Stern Ladder and railing

Max Soto maxsoto at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 4 10:26:55 EST 2006

Hi everybody,

My previous boat, a Spirit 28' had a separate stern rail with ladder, it was
so easy coming in or out of this boat.

The ESTANCIA has the original oppening  on the stern, with the lower
horizontal bar but no ladder. The PO removed it in order to install a wind
vane. Then, when I got the ladder from Rod and Pat Headlee, and started
using it, I really wanted to take a saw and just cut this lower crosbar bar
out!!!!!

Then I just got used to it,  the Spirit railings were stiff enough to hold a
grill, outboard, gas tank and me sitting there while sailing with no flex at
all, but this is not the case on these Catalinas.

These railings are very weak. If I have a railing without opening, I'll
momidify it for sure, but I recomend  to make it like the originals with
opening, with the lower bar for stiffness.

Hope this helps!

Max Soto
C38 #198 ESTANCIA
Puntarenas, Costa Rica