[C38] Stern Ladder and railing

David Epstein davidepstein at seicontrol.com
Sat Mar 4 00:50:00 EST 2006

Russ,

SuperStar had this modification done when the boat was new in
'81.  It works out great not to have the crossbar, and an additional
benefit is that if you are hit (it's happened more than once,
racing), you only have to replace 1/2 the pushpit.  If you would
like, I will email some photos.

David Epstein
#122 SuperStar, Marina del Rey, CA

At 12:29 PM 3/3/2006, you wrote:

>My boat has a stern ladder, but no opening in the aft
>railing.  Having to climb over the railing makes it pretty tough to
>get back aboard. I was thinking of cutting an opening in the rail
>and then using sections of stainless tube and the necessary fittings
>to create an opening similar to what I have seen in pictures of
>other C-38's.  Has anyone done this before?  Are there any cons to
>doing this?  Also, if I do make this mod, should I cut out both
>horizontal sections so that you can just step right in, or should I
>leave the middle horizontal piece like I see in the pics?
>
>Thanks again!
>
>Sincerely,
>Russ Duff
>Catalina 38, Hull #112