[C38] Headsail Luff conversion

Les Howell hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sun Mar 5 12:25:44 EST 2006

Hi, Max,
    Roller furling sails are cut a bit flatter than hanked on sails, because
otherwise they would bunch up, and not furl properly.  To get the sail
converted to roller furling would be about $200 or more, and to add the
cover (needed to keep the sail from deteriorating in sunlight) would cost
about $400 or more, in my experience.
    Another possibility (and one I took) was to find a very good quality
used sail and have the conversion done to it.  This permits you to continue
sailing while the new sail is being prepared, and gets you a better sail for
the money (based on what you described).
    Nancy and I found ours at Minney's a few years ago.  I don't rememver
the full price we paid, but all said, it was about 1/3 the cost of a new
sail.
    There are several sail lofts that might have one in excellent quality to
approximately fit the boat, and your local sail loft could advise on which
ones would make the best conversion.

Regards,
Les H