[C38] Deck Shoe Favorites?

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 14 11:33:00 EDT 2006

Hi Jim and group,

I gave up on "deck shoes" many years ago for most activities.  When we
raced we started wearing tennis shoes because they wouldn't accidently come
off and if they got wet it didn't matter.

Even though I don't race now, we still wear white soled tennis shoes most
of the time on the dock and boat.  I still keep my nice leather Sperry and
other brand leather deck shoes on board for going to dinner, etc but for
working and sailing, I find the tennis shoes give superior traction, won't
come off accidently, are inexpensive and very comfortable with or without
socks.

My favorites are Everlast with a white sole but many other brand tennis
shoes are available with white soles.  Most of the tennis shoes with white
soles are very inexpensive and can be found at K-Mart, WalMart, etc.

I know the leather boat shoes look nicer and I have several pairs of
expensive deck shoes in different styles, shades, etc.  but for getting
things done, the cheap white soled tennis shoe is hard to beat.  We keep
some fold up bicycles on board and I find the tennis shoe much better for
that activity also.  I would never consider climbing my mast without my
tennis shoes.  All you have to do is loose one expensive leather boat shoe
overboard just once and you may become a believer in the cheap tennis shoe
route as I have.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Tom Troncalli
The Renata #95