[C38] leaks (thru decking)

eyriepg at comcast.net eyriepg at comcast.net
Tue Apr 25 17:07:07 EDT 2006

Marci,

I've had some leaks but the only one you mentioned that I  have experienced is around the mast where it enters the deck.  I eliminated that leak by putting a little bit of polysulfide sealant around the inside of the mast collar where it is hose clamped around the mast.  Other people have had success with the Spartite system which builds a plug around the mast where it goes through the partners.

Your more serious leaks are through the deck where the plywood core could separate from the fiberglass and also rot.  The repair is covered well in Don Casey's book Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair.  The chapter on preparing a cored deck for new hardware and sealing chainplates is right up front on pages 14 and 15.  I have no connection with the book or author but it is a good inexpensive reference book.

Phil Gay
C38 049 Que Linda
Everett, WA

From: "Marci Brown" <mbrown at wilbio.com>

We've just purchased a beauty: Checks in the Mail! I fell in love with her 3 years ago @ the marina where I used to slip my Bristol 33 (sold 1 1/2 years ago). Imagine my good fortune when I fell for one of the crew members and a year later, we're the new owners of Checks!

Now it's time to isolate some of the leaks: a few of the chain plates, the deadlights, a leaky spot underneath a newer fairlead track, and the boot around the mast where it goes into the cabin.

I'm pretty concerned about the leak under the track--it oozes brown water down into the quarter berth--a sure sign of balsa damage, I'd imagine. I don't see any signs of delamination, however. I'm anticipating a lot of work and/some expense in this repair.

Any recommendations?

Marci Brown
Co-Owner of C38
Checks in the Mail