[C38] noise in mast

Duff, Russ (R.W.) rduff at visteon.com
Mon May 1 12:30:37 EDT 2006

I know what you mean.  I don't know how many times I would go up on deck to
tighten the halyards after laying there listening to CLANG  CLANG  CLANG...
for who knows how long.  But, the noise could also be coming from the
electrical cables inside your mast.  If it happens when the wind blows, but
there is no rolling motion, it is probably just the external portions of
your halyards, and not the cables inside.  Be careful not to tighten your
jib halyard too much, over time you might stretch the luff of your jib,
which I think I may have done.  What I do is pull any halyards I can away
from the mast by wrapping them outside of the shrouds before tightening
things down.  This way you also don't have to tighten things so much.
Another thing I did was stuff cut sections of those foam swimming noodles
between the halyards and mast to move the halyard away from the mast.

Sincerely,
Russ Duff
Catalina 38, Hull #112
"AVANTURA"