[C38] noise in mast

Patrick Harpole 1derful at comcast.net
Tue May 2 11:10:42 EDT 2006

Messagethanks
Patrick
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Duff, Russ (R.W.)
  To: 'Catalina 38 Listserve'
  Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 9:30 AM
  Subject: Re: [C38] noise in mast

  I know what you mean.  I don't know how many times I would go up on deck to tighten the halyards after laying there listening to CLANG  CLANG  CLANG... for who knows how long.  But, the noise could also be coming from the electrical cables inside your mast.  If it happens when the wind blows, but there is no rolling motion, it is probably just the external portions of your halyards, and not the cables inside.  Be careful not to tighten your jib halyard too much, over time you might stretch the luff of your jib, which I think I may have done.  What I do is pull any halyards I can away from the mast by wrapping them outside of the shrouds before tightening things down.  This way you also don't have to tighten things so much.  Another thing I did was stuff cut sections of those foam swimming noodles between the halyards and mast to move the halyard away from the mast.

  Sincerely,
  Russ Duff
  Catalina 38, Hull #112
  "AVANTURA"