[C38] chain

eyriepg at comcast.net eyriepg at comcast.net
Tue May 16 22:19:22 EDT 2006

I replaced my rode last year and the determining factor on chain was the new windlass(Lofrans Progress I).  It required 5/16 HT.  I have 60 feet of chain spliced to 200 feet of 9/16 nylon.  I could have used 9/16 or 1/2 rope, but I figured that the splice would go through the windlass gypsy better with 9/16.

I heard at our marina in Everett, WA that you can have your chain regalvanized inexpensively.  I don't know the details though.

Phil Gay
C38 049 Que Linda
Everett, WA

From: "RICHARD KILROY" <dickkilroy at verizon.net>

charles: we had 5/16ht series 40 chain on dashaway strength is in the 3000 plus area and worked fine for 7 years in the carribean, but at the end of this past winter there was just too much rust on a lot of it so we discarded, am wondering how to replace now as the 5/16ht is $ 5.00 a ft down there. we had 125 ft and 150 ft of rode spliced to that. we also have a lofrens progress 1 windlass. it seems you can buy 8mm european chain for $ 2.00 from budget marine down there so i think thats what i'll do. good luck in whatever you decide

dick kilroy