[C38] Rudder packing challenges

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jun 12 13:09:00 EDT 2006

Dear C38 Colleagues.
         Update my rudder packing efforts. As we discussed before and as
Russ has observed today, with wheel steering the rudder tube is cut open in
the middle for attaching the steering quadrant.  The bronze stuffing box is
on the top of the bottom part of tube that the rudder shaft passes through,
and the quadrant rides about 1/2 inch above the stuffing box. I do not
think that a gaitor will fit on a tube with steering quadrants; too little
room for attachment.  It is a huge job to remove the steering quadrant, but
you must do so before replacing the packing/ stuffing.
         I believe that I used 1/2 inch teflon coated synthetic stuffing
from West Marine (This kind lasts longer and cuts more accurately than the
natural old kind)  and was able to get three courses of it into the empty
box. I hammered the stuffing on a wooden block to flatten it before
insertion, this facilitates sliding the stuffing into the stuffing box. The
distortion caused by hammering disappears when you tighten the squeeze
bolts on the box.
         However, my rudder shaft has lots and lots of play, and it needs
shimming of at least 25 thousands of an inch on each side, as mesured in
the cockpit at the tube top where the rudder attachment is fixed.
         This play (I hope it is the play) means that even brand new
stuffing wears out in a few hours of use. So, my rudder shaft leaks as much
through the box as ever after only a few hours of use, with new
stuffing.  It may be that I need to replace the bottom bearing ( is it
delrin?) on the rudder, but that will have to wait till haul out. Im going
to try to shim the top of the tube in the next month or so and will inform
you all of my results.

Still tryin' Don