[C38] rain in mast to floor then bilge?

Marci Brown mbrown at wilbio.com
Sun Jan 14 19:07:32 EST 2007

We don't [handle it]. Recently, Keith and I slept on "Checks in the Mail"
during a night of Chesapeake Bay rain with heavy downpours. The water didn't
gently drip down the mast and dissipate in the bilge compartment. It
splashed and dropped on the salon cushions and the sole near the head,
leaving quite a puddle. I'd say that 2-3 gallons of water ended up in the
bilge, and I mopped the rest up with towels. (The automatic bilge pump had
been mistakenly switched off so I was able to 'meter' the drippage in the
morning.) Last summer we had a new mast boot installed and the spar-tight
was pretty new, eliminating the question of where the h20 was coming from.
We've been told by some that we need to accept the situation. Is it coming
in through the halyard openings? I haven't been up the mast yet. I wonder if
there are gaps in the masthead.

Marci Brown/Keith Carson

C38 Owners