[C38] rain in mast to floor then bilge?

eyriepg at comcast.net eyriepg at comcast.net
Sun Jan 14 19:08:12 EST 2007

I hauled Que Linda out about 5 years ago to repaint the bottom.  My bilge always has water in it so I bailed and sponged it dry right after the haulout.  I had planned to do some plumbing in the bilge.  While it is typically dry in the northwest in the summer, we had quite a rain storm the day after I hauled out.  When I pulled up the bilge access panel, I was surprised to find nearly 2 inches of water there.  It was unbelievable.  One of the previous owners had drilled several holes into the depression on the floor around the mast base so that the water drains around the step and into the bilge.

There is room at the top of the mast around the halyard sheaves for the rain to enter, but it acts almost like there is a funnel there sometimes.

Phil Gay
C38 049 Que Linda
Everett WA

From: "Gus Woods" <gwoods at dineout.org>