[C38] fuel tank replacement?

D. R. Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Tue Sep 4 11:47:05 EDT 2007

Dear C38 list.
    "The time has come," and it wasn't a walrus that said it but about
1/4 of a cup of bright red diesel in the bilge. The diesel is there each
week and takes about 5 days to appear clearly.  The tank location makes
the source of the leak hard to pin down. I can find no leaks in the fuel
lines or engine.  The 20 gallon tank is dated, 1979, and Discreet Charm
is a 1980 model Catalina 38. So, my inference is that the tank is
original and has corroded though.
    Best way to remove and replace? How about cutting the top off a
section of the fiberglass molding supporting the Vberth? A careful cut
could be replaced after the install of the new tank. We are
contemplating a larger tank that would be beveled on the starboard edge;
some quick arithmetic from my trusty 8th grade geometry suggests we
might be able to get a 30 gallon tank in there. The electrical upgrade
made by a previous owner put the engine battery close behind the tank,
so sternward expansion of a replacement tank would be a huge job.
    All suggestions and observations welcomed!
ta,

--

Don and Karine Strong
C38 Discreet Charm