[C38] engine access

Kenneth M. Sutto kmspacific at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 4 11:54:59 EST 2007

  Hello all, thank you for the "performance' and "prop walk" information.
  I have another situation on my 1983  #253 Catalina.  I need to get more access to the starboard side engine compartment. Next to the quarterberth is a small access opening which I can not get in to. I am pretty big in the shoulders and chest, (naturally a flat stomach!!!) and I am left handed. This makes it almost impossible to get access to the engine for me.
 How much of the side hole can I safetly cut out without any loss to the strength of the shell.
 Also what is the best way to cut the fiberglass out. I was planning tape the cut area, then mark the cut line on the tape and cut with a jigsaw. Then I have to figure out a new access panel.
 Any input, thanks.
 Ken Sutto
        Sundancer  #253