[C38] Storm Sails

Rich West rw at idea-asylum.com
Tue Nov 20 11:50:57 EST 2007

Hi David and all,

We have a permanent inner stay with a small jib rolled on it.  We've only
used it once and weren't very happy with the setup (installed by previous
owner).  Instead, we just roll up most of our 100% jib and reef the main.
Like most, we have two reef points in the main.

Beyond about 30 knots, we use just one or the other - a double reefed main
without headsail or no main and just a little headsail unrolled.  I guess it
kind of depends on our mood at the time (which usually isn't all that good
when it blows hard).  Legacy really sails nice with just a little main or a
little headsail.  I guess if we had to beat off a lee shore, it would be a
different story.

The fastest wind we've seen is in the mid 50's but briefly.  He have been in
some sustained 45 knot winds and in both situations, our Cat 38 really did
well.  As I've mentioned before, the previous owner, Larry Newland, was
caught in the Queens Birthday storm between New Zealand and Tonga where he
had 70 knot winds and 50 foot seas.  He said the boat did great and that the
real problem was that he had to hand steer because the wind in the troughs
was too variable for the monitor wind vane.  He told me he used a double
reefed main and the small jib on the inner stay.  I think that's a lot of
sail for that situation.

Thanks,

Rich, Legacy, #360

  _____