[C38] Storm Sails

RICHARD KILROY dickkilroy at verizon.net
Tue Nov 20 16:53:18 EST 2007

Dave: I wrote an article for the Mainsheet (Nov 2003 ) where I recounted our trip through tropical storm Leslie from Marion, Ma to Bermuda. We had winds between 35 and 60 plus, my unit tops out at 60, so can't say what top was. We used a double reefed main and part of the 100% jib until it started to get bad , then went with about 1/3 of the 100% jib only. Jib finally blew out the top in a squal about 8 miles out of Bermuda, sailed to  about 3 miles out where a tow picked us up. We had sailed through the eye and the engine had failed do to clogged filters which were impossible to change under the conditions, thats why we needed a tow. No headsail, no engine, a 130 in the saillocker, but 3 real tired guys who didn't want to deal with it. So the Cat 38 will take a lot of wind with a shortened 100% high clued jib

Dick