[C38] Teak oil or varnish/urethane?

Jan Pitesa PitesaJ at peteramayer.com
Wed Jan 3 15:16:51 EST 2007

we should be wet

             Jan Pitesa
             <PitesaJ at peterama
             yer.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  Catalina 38 Listserve
             listserve-bounces         <listserve at catalina38.org>
             @catalina38.org                                            cc
                                       listserve-bounces at catalina38.org
                                                                   Subject
             01/03/2007 02:15          Re: [C38] Teak oil or
             PM                        varnish/urethane?

             Please respond to
                Catalina 38
                 Listserve
             <listserve at catali
                 na38.org>

I too, have used Danish Oil, for several years now. You can get a mirror
finish and it can be we sanded which will fill the grain and cracks with
the oil and the woods own sawdust, which helps vs sanding the wood smooth.

Inactive hide details for dpooch <dpooch at yahoo.com>dpooch
<dpooch at yahoo.com>

                         dpooch
                         <dpooch at yahoo
                         .com>
                         Sent by:
                         listserve-bou                                  To
                         nces at catalina
                         38.org                  Catalina 38 Listserve
                                                 <listserve at catalina38.org

                         01/03/2007
                         01:59 PM                                       cc

           Please respond to                                       Subject
         Catalina 38 Listserve
       <listserve at catalina38.org>                Re: [C38] Teak oil or
                                                 varnish/urethane?

Mr. Duff
I have tried them all over the years and well I met a guy that is a cabinet
maker. He helped me by cutting out a lot of new parts for my boat. And how
to go to a hardwood lumber yard and purchase ruff cut lumber. He figured
how many board feet I needed and when he finished we had little more than
saw dust left over. A real craftsman at work I sure can not do it.
So to make a long story a little shorter he said I should use Watco Danish
Oil Finish. Here is a website about it.
http://www.woodworking.com/wwtimes_oilfinish.cfm

I did it a little different. After I got the surface like I wonted it I
would paint the stuff on rubdown with steel wool let dry a little. You will
figure this one out by how hard it is to get off. Then hand buff off with
lent free cloth. I did lets just say lots of coats. It is cool stuff
nothing like what you get at a boat store. I have a new set of hand rails
for deck here at the house I did this way I can photo and send. Oh one last
thing for sure your rub down rags never wad them up and pile them up. This
stuff will spontaneously combust. I would spread mine out flat one by one
on saw horses.

Dana Putsche Layover Days # 39

More to say but I owe I owe so off to work I go.

"Duff, Russ (R.W.)" <rduff at visteon.com> wrote:
I need to refinish all of my exterior wood; hand rails, hatch boards, hatch
sliders, locker trim... and was wondering what everyone else has done. Did
you oil everything or use a varnish/urethane? Oil some and varnish the
rest? Thanks.
Sincerely,
Russ Duff
Catalina 38, Hull #112