[C38] Teak oil or varnish/urethane?

eyriepg at comcast.net eyriepg at comcast.net
Wed Jan 3 18:26:22 EST 2007

Here in the Northwest, oil doesn't hold up well since the rain washes it off the wood.  A friend carefully applied about 5 coats of teak oil to a boat in our marina in June and it looked really streaked by October.  This was the dryest time of the year by the way.  My wife and I varnished the interior of our boat last spring but we used Cetol on the exterior brightwork.  You can apply varnish every 4 hours, but the coats are very thin.  Cetol needs closer to 24 hours between coats, but the coats are much thicker.  We have used Cetol for about 6 years and apply one coat each fall.  It has held up well and while it doesn't have the beauty of real varnish, it looks good and is much easier to keep up with than varnish.

Phil Gay
C38 049 Que Linda
Everett, WA

From: "Duff, Russ (R.W.)" <rduff at visteon.com>

I need to refinish all of my exterior wood; hand rails, hatch boards, hatch sliders, locker trim... and was wondering what everyone else has done.  Did you oil everything or use a varnish/urethane?  Oil some and varnish the rest?  Thanks.
Sincerely,
Russ Duff
Catalina 38, Hull #112
"AVANTURA"