[C38] Going to CA!

Rich West rw at idea-asylum.com
Thu Jan 11 13:43:53 EST 2007

Hi Max,

Minney's is a great place!  A must visit.

The largest West Marine I know of in the L.A. area is in Marina del Rey.
There are actually two stores although one is more power boat and fishing
supplies.  There's a really nice WM in San Diego if you get a chance to get
down there.  There are also a couple of other boating stores down there with
different supplies.  Down Wind Marine in San Diego is a cruisers Mecca.

As far as discount prices on a chart plotter, I'd shop for prices online.
WM and others will often match online prices.  I'd try www.defender.com.  If
you find a good price, print it out and take it to WM (or just order from
defender - I've always had great service from them).  In my experience, the
marine electronics places in the L.A. area are very expensive.  I guess they
expect to have to support what they sell and build in a suitable markup.

If anyone else has a good way to buy boat stuff at a discount, I'd also love
to know.  This boating stuff gets so expensive!  Why, I remember when a
"boat unit" used to be $100.

Here are some links to google maps of the WM stores in Marina Del Rey and
the one in San Diego.

Marina Del Rey
http://tinyurl.com/y27hk5   A and B

San Diego