[C38] 0.75 vs 1.5 oz spinnakers

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jan 12 11:15:08 EST 2007

Dear Max: We recently purchased at a very favorable price from a good
friend a 1.5 oz gennaker, asymetrical (or what ever you want to call it)
spinnaker for Discrete Charm. The sail had the romance of "having been
used once to cross the Tasman Sea from Japan to Darwin, Oz.
We had previously used the 0.75 standard, built for a pole, symmetrical
spinnakers that came with the boat.
First, the standard spinnys suck when not on a pole. They have very
restricted range and collapse easily if not on that perfect just off the
wind tack.
Second, the asym is wonderful, has great range and adds a huge dimension
for sailors like Karin and me, who don't have a foredeck crew to handle
the pole and the sail.
Third. The 1.5 oz aspect makes it voluminous in the bag, heavy, and
quite difficult to get from the quarter berth to the foredeck. When my
son is with us, I ask him to carry the sail (he carries it, I drag and
wrestle it, from cabin to foredeck in the bag). Without a great deal of
folding and a crew member forward and below, the sheer volume makes it
difficult, nigh impossible to get out and in through the foredeck hatch.
We have it stored in a sock, which is also 1.5 oz and which adds to the
volume and weight. However, what are you gonna do but store it in the
sock, if it is ready to use on the boat (again, if you dont have a
foredeck crew)?!!

Conclusion, 1.5 oz is more durable but twice the weight and much more
volumnous. Difficult to use without a big crew.
I would buy a 0.75 oz if I had the money.

Don

Max Soto wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I'm going to consider all of them.
> To be honest I've never been on a place that cold before. We'll see how it
> goes.
>
> Regarding the spinnaker that I'm thinking to buy, what should I get?? a .75
> or 1.5oz??
> Is there such thing as all around spinnaker? I mean one that I can use the
> most??
>
> Thanks
>
> Max
>

>> From: Les <hlhowell at pacbell.net>
>> To: Catalina 38 Listserve <listserve at catalina38.org>
>> Subject: Re: [C38] Going to CA!
>> Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 00:06:20 -0800
>>
>> Forgot the weather.
>> 	Currently cold (about 55 today and cooling tonight) windy (>20kts in
>> gusts), and good surf for surfers with rain.  Sat should be better, but
>> I don't know how much.  Tomorrow (Friday) will be rain and cold.  Not a
>> good time for a boat trip.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Les H

Donald R. Strong