[C38] sock is the most important, ATN tacker too (but another expense and really not necessary).

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jan 12 13:39:26 EST 2007

Max: For an asym to be serviceable without a foredeck crew (aka "gorilla
gang"), the sock is the most important device. Socks take some work
before they perform for you: spinnaker halyard outside of forestay, spin
sheets led properly outside of forestay, sock positioned and fixed on
deck, downhaul on ATN tacker or line loop, etc, etc., etc. Unfurl and
furl the asym from the sock at the dock in zero wind 5 times before you
try it at sea. First times at sea, make sure to have more hands than you
need. Remember, spinnakers love keels and spinnaker sheets love props!
They were made in heaven for one another.
    We inherited an ATN tacker from the previous owner, it works ok.
Much less expensive options work too, such as a loop in a line with
attached snapshackles. The early "tackers" were looped line through a
bunch of small balls drilled through the center; these can be fabricated
for $20. We used these back in Florida in the 70s with a recut
symmetrical spinnaker cut to be an asym.  (By the way, you can pick up
an old sym and recut it yourself pretty cheap. It probably will look
weird but they work for a while; it will have cost you much less than a
new sail and you will have the most valuable of sailing properties,
experience!).
    You will love an asym. They are huge sails and in big winds can
overpower your C38 in ways that you have not experienced with the
smaller head sails; the stern will lift out of the water. When you can
no longer steer, release the sheet.
    My pals and I have had gobs of fun with the asym (although my wife
would rather not hear the word "spinnaker." When she is on board, we
have a "spinnaker moratorium.").

Don