[C38] sock is the most important, ATN tacker too (but another expense and really not necessary).

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 12 16:27:36 EST 2007

I'll second that about trying it at the dock in light air.  It is a
known problem that the block on the sock will occasionally snarf up a
bit of the sock and jam.  I am still thinking about needle pointing
arrows for up and down on the sock control line (for those of us with
short memories).  If you have conventional spinnaker experience you will
not be too surprised by the power, but the angle of pull is off the
center line, so takes some getting adjusted. (so they tell me, I have
only used the Asym a couple of times).  I am pleased to read about the
spinnaker moratorium, I thought Nancy and I were the only ones with that
issue.  But sailing with the JIB is sufficient for most of our cruising.
I guess if we were offshore in 5kst or less it might have more appeal.

	I didn't think about the tacker.  I have a block rigged to go on the
anchor pin, to a block on the spinnaker and down to the toe rail.  It
gives me a bit of an advantage and works pretty well.  This was
suggested to me by an racing friend to make control a bit easier.  I
suspect that using the rig to a tacker would make it a bit more docile.
Our spinnaker is about 24' x 52, and pretty flat cut.  At about 150
relative it drags us like a team of rabid sled dogs.  WE registered
about 8.5kts in 10kts of wind and about 11 in 20 (for the bare knuckled
sailor only I think).  A bit out of line and the rail just before the
mast went under about 6" of water before we got it back under control.
We use two sheets to make jibing easier.  Have had the good fortune not
to go crabbing yet, so I cannot speak to the prop and keel issue, but
that much cloth full of water would be nearly impossible for a crew of
two I think.

	The whole shebang, spin, sheets, downhaul, blocks sock and turtle
weighs about 80 lbs by my guess, and with the solid hoop (about 2' in
diameter) is really hard to manage.  Does anyone have any other type of
hoop or any better means for dealing with it other than horsing it
around?

Regards,
Les H