[C38] the goose has problems

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 23 14:59:12 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 08:11 -0800, William Knowles wrote:
> My majoorleaks are in the opening ports the gaskets do
> not seal. Are these the ones that I can get from
> Catalina direct? My stearing pedistal isn't leaking
> the rudder post has a small leak. I am not sure if
> that is causing the binding I am going to have the
> yard look at it whilesd it's out. Thanks for your
> help. Bill
> --- "Duff, Russ (R.W.)" <rduff at visteon.com> wrote:
Yes, Duff, CatalinaDirect has all the gaskets you need and the silicon
caulk needed to rebed the frames to the cabin sides after the work.  The
leaking rudder post is generally a problem with the packing gland.  I
had mine repacked, but now it needs adjustment to close the leak.  Also
there is no bearing in our rudders, and if the wear gets too great, the
rudder opening will need rebuilding.  There is a procedure on one of the
Catalina web pages (was anyway) that describes the process.  Basically
the rudder is dropped, the post is slimed up with mold release, and then
the rudder is remounted.  A slurry of epoxy and cut fibers or other
filler is then poured (pumped?) into the opening around the rudder post
and allowed to cure.  After that, the rudder is again dropped, the mold
release cleaned up and the rudder is re-installed, the packing gland is
replaced and repacked and the steering components re-installed.

	Bear in mind this is a simple description of the process.  It may be a
bit more involved than this, and will definitely require a yard to do
the work.

Regards,
Les H