[C38] a vote for sailing chat and a note about Yanmar impeller differences

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jan 31 09:19:56 EST 2007

Dear Max: Although too far north to meet up with you, I greatly enjoyed
the discussions about your visit and C38 stuff.

A note for that small fraction of us who have Yanmar 3GM30F engines. The
company sold two versions of cooling pumps,
the Swedish Johnson pump and a Japanese model. My kit had two spare
impellers, both for the wrong pump. I was lucky to have discovered the
mismatch during a "fix the pump" drill at the dock. The Johnson pump
impeller has a screw through the center, the Japanese impeller has no
center screw. Barb at Golden State Diesel (GSD) in Oakland, CA
straightened me out about the differences and traded impellers straight
across. Good place, GSD.
regards, Don

Gus Woods wrote:
> Max, it is great to hear that the C38 community made you feel at home. I do not think anyone on the list objected to the arrangement of meetings or any of the discussion of what you wanted to see and do, in fact, I am sure we were all pleased with the responses extended you, a very valuable member of the group.
>
> The objection, which I understand but do not fully share, was to the message from a member who is in the marine supply business. It is a faily common rule among lists like this this that commercial solicitation is not allowed.
>
> Your contributions are always welcome.

> Hi everybody,
>
> Thanks a lot for the advices and suggestion for my trip to CA. Went to great
> places and got the chance to meet great people like Pat from Joint Adventure
> and  Les and Nancy from Jace.
> Had great times with them.
>
> At the end I decided for an asymmetrical but didn't found the right one. But
> got some other great stuff. A rigid Garhauer vang is my favorite! Going to
> need installation instructions!!
>
> For the ones that didn't agreed for the meetings  arranged on the list
> between c38 owners or that somehow felt offended by this, I do apologize,
> for the ones supporting, thanks a lot!!
>
> At the end, only good things should come out, and everybody on the list that
> are interested in collecting all C38 technical  info is going to be very
> happy about it:
>
> While fooling around in LA I step by Catalina Yachts I talked to an
> engineer, great guy, He gave me a copy of every C38 document that they had
> in their archives.
> I got about 50 pages of plumbing and wiring diagrams, mast, windows, engine
> beds, boom, chainplates, strut, specs, etc. Some of those are hard to see
> but the  rest are ok.
>
> I'm planning to scan everything and send it to Charles, to see if he can put
> it on the web.
> It's a lot of stuff.
>
> Charles: Clear your inbox!!!
>

> Max Soto