[C38] Cabin Heater

Rich West rw at idea-asylum.com
Sat Feb 24 16:14:42 EST 2007

Hi All,

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do about a cabin heater?  I had
an Espar diesel forced air heater installed in the port lazarette but it
finally quit.  There was bulky air ducting going through the engine
compartment and into the cabin on the starboard side.  I didn't replace it
because I hated the noise and when it would complete it's heating cycle and
do a "cool down" cycle, it would cool the boat enough that it would need to
restart almost immediately.

To replace it, I bought a cute little Espar diesel hydraunic heater but I
haven't installed it yet.  It's heats water which is pumped through the boat
to a small radiator (or radiators) with a fan.   I haven't found a great
place for the heat exchangers yet.  There are some places that would be
suitable but I hate to run 40 feet of hose (there and back) filled with
coolant.  Legacy is heavy enough as it is.  I'm not concerned about getting
heat to the V berth because in our case, it's a storage area.

Thanks,

Rich West
Legacy, #360