[C38] Cabin Heater

Charles charles at finn.ws
Sat Feb 24 16:40:20 EST 2007

I installed the Dickinson propane fireplace heater (New York) 5-6 years
ago and would install another one if it was my choice.  I had one of
their charcoal heaters in my Cascade 36 back in the late 70s, but the
propane is much more convenient and certainly less of a mess.  The vent
on these units is a double pipe that uses outside air for combustion
(good idea with any of these units).  The only pain was running a
separate line from the propane tank all the way up to the port
bulkhead.  I would estimate installation was no more than 3-4 hours (cut
vent hole in cabin and run electric and propane to the unit).  Even
though this unit does not use any inside air... I strongly recommend a
propane detector!  I put one in when I converted my stove from CNG and
it does help me sleep better at night.

Charles Finn,
Mighty Quinn #114