[C38] New bow cleats

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Tue Feb 27 14:42:01 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 16:02 -0500, Gus Woods wrote:
> I put two pop-up cleats on the bow, not as far out as the toe rails but
> far enough to leave foot space. They drain into the anchor locker so the
> minor leakage inherent in that design is not really a problem and they
> are flush with the deck when not in use which I think is a safety
> factor. I'm happy with the arrangement, dock lines don't get underfoot
> as much as with the center cleat and the 'tripper' goes away completely
> when you leave the dock.

> Has annyone added extra cleats o te bow. I was
> thinking maybe use the rail area. I just do not like
> one cleat in a blow.
On JACE the aft end of the anchor locker goes under the deck about 4-6".
I am not near the boat today, so I can't be sure of the measurement, but
that is about what I remember.  So you added the cleats in the deck aft
of the hatch, but inside the locker.  And parallel to the toe rail,
about 3 or 4" inboard I would guess?  Then the lines have to pass over
the anchor locker for the anchor, but dock lines at a slip go through
chocks clamped on the toe rail?  Is that about right?

	At least on JACE, with the current winch and additional bow roller
installation, that is where they would have to go.  What did you use as
chocks?  I have several ideas, but wonder if someone has already solved
this issue.

	I also use a cleat on the sheet track.  Our winds were very predictable
in Dana Point, due to a large bluff blocking one direction and funneling
wind through the harbor to about a 40 degree variation where our slip
was located.

	However, a couple of good, well located amidships cleats on each side
would certainly tame some dock approaches.  However, although
disappearing cleats would be nice in this area, I wonder about
waterproofing, since these would be in the cabin internally.

	I especially have difficulty with approaching or leaving a dock with a
full on beam wind of 10kts or greater, which is a lot of the time in two
of the harbors I frequent where their check in dock is downwind from the
approach. Also one pumpout where the wind is invariably beam to, off the
dock.  We always provide some amusement for observers, but so far the
only damage is my ego. ;-)

Regards,
Les H