[C38] New bow cleats

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Tue Feb 27 16:14:02 EST 2007

Les wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 16:02 -0500, Gus Woods wrote:
>
>> I put two pop-up cleats on the bow, not as far out as the toe rails but
>> far enough to leave foot space. They drain into the anchor locker so the
>> minor leakage inherent in that design is not really a problem and they
>> are flush with the deck when not in use which I think is a safety
>> factor. I'm happy with the arrangement, dock lines don't get underfoot
>> as much as with the center cleat and the 'tripper' goes away completely
>> when you leave the dock.

>> Has annyone added extra cleats o te bow. I was
>> thinking maybe use the rail area. I just do not like
>> one cleat in a blow.
>>
> On JACE the aft end of the anchor locker goes under the deck about 4-6".
> I am not near the boat today, so I can't be sure of the measurement, but
> that is about what I remember.  So you added the cleats in the deck aft
> of the hatch, but inside the locker.  And parallel to the toe rail,
> about 3 or 4" inboard I would guess?  Then the lines have to pass over
> the anchor locker for the anchor, but dock lines at a slip go through
> chocks clamped on the toe rail?  Is that about right?
>
> 	At least on JACE, with the current winch and additional bow roller
> installation, that is where they would have to go.  What did you use as
> chocks?  I have several ideas, but wonder if someone has already solved
> this issue.
>
> 	I also use a cleat on the sheet track.  Our winds were very predictable
> in Dana Point, due to a large bluff blocking one direction and funneling
> wind through the harbor to about a 40 degree variation where our slip
> was located.
>
> 	However, a couple of good, well located amidships cleats on each side
> would certainly tame some dock approaches.  However, although
> disappearing cleats would be nice in this area, I wonder about
> waterproofing, since these would be in the cabin internally.
>
> 	I especially have difficulty with approaching or leaving a dock with a
> full on beam wind of 10kts or greater, which is a lot of the time in two
> of the harbors I frequent where their check in dock is downwind from the
> approach. Also one pumpout where the wind is invariably beam to, off the
> dock.  We always provide some amusement for observers, but so far the
> only damage is my ego. ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Les H

    When installing new bow cleats, I think you need to be careful to
provide an adequate backing plate under the deck. In a storm you could
get heavy shock loads. Pulling out piece of deck is not fun.
When I installed my anchor windlass my metal worker craftsman did not
like the entire bow roller, anchor locker set up. He  fabricated and
installed a stainless plate which is welded to the headstay attachment
point. It runs aft providing a  metal channel for the chain into the
anchor locker and provides a stainless plate on which the windlass is
installed.  Although I do 50 races a year, strong gear is important. Joe
Launie, Commodore, Macavity