[C38] spam on the C38 listserve?

Charles charles at finn.ws
Wed May 23 13:41:41 EDT 2007

When I set up the Catalina38 listserve after Sailnet tanked, I developed
a process to ensure we would not be spoofed or spammed.  Some things it
might help to know:

1. Each new member of the listserve has to be specifically allowed to
send messages.  Phil Gay now does this.
2. There are also limits to large emails and to the number of emails one
member can send within 24 hours.
3. There are no restrictions regarding receipt of messages.

So, if someone wanted to "take over" our listserve, they would have to
hack the master password in 5 tries (it locks you out if you try more
than that).  The server we sit on is one of the most protected
commercial servers in the industry (I chose them for their security
reputation).

That leaves the possibility that someone could hack one of our member's
computers and try to send that way, but they would be locked out after
just a few messages.

My best guess is that someone has hacked the Sailnet listserve and those
of you who subscribe to it are getting these messages (I have not
received one for the same reason Phil gave).  Given their volume, they
probably have not set in place the same manual procedures we have and
are therefore vulnerable.

By the way, DO NOT respond to the Unsubscribe message!  By doing so, you
are probably giving the hackers an invitation to visit!

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Lake Champlain