[C38] 'Usual' maintenance of items

eyriepg at comcast.net eyriepg at comcast.net
Wed Jun 13 13:54:56 EDT 2007

Tom,

While our answers would probably be correct, you probably should direct your question to the Catalina 380 list.  Catalina 38s were not made in the 1990's.

Phil Gay
C38 049  a 1980 model
Everett, WA

From: "Tom Beck" <Tom.Beck at cgifederal.com>

Hello All,

Sorry if this is not following procedure but I’m a prospective C38 owner and I had a question.

I’m looking at buying a 1998 C38 which appears in good condition, lightly used, but also has all original equipment.  Thus, sails and rigging have not been replaced.

What is a ‘reasonable’ assumption to make to make in terms of budgeting for somewhat major repairs or maintenance?  Hauling out and bottom painting I figure I’ll be doing no matter what.   For example,  I have heard standing rigging should be replaced every 10 years.  I’m not looking at cost or dollar amount from this group, just what items I should expect to be spending dollars on.

Are there any reasonable assumptions I can make?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks
Tom