[C38] House Batteries

Rich West rw at idea-asylum.com
Wed Jul 18 18:31:43 EDT 2007

Regarding your idea to install an amp-hour meter: I have one on Legacy and
it has solved all of my 12 volt problems.  I have lived on boats and cruised
on and off for the past 30 years and, until the amp-hour meter, I have
always had problems with batteries.  No more.  (Wow, I sound like an ad!)

We have 4 six volt Trojan batteries for about 240 amp-hours capacity.  The
batteries are wired in two banks and we leave them switched together to form
one battery bank.  We make sure that the meter never gets lower than about
-80 amp-hours.  We have no separate starting battery.

We've had this configuration for about 6 years and 15,000 blue water miles
and have never had a single problem.  I wouldn't have a boat again without
an amp-hour meter.

Rich West
Legacy, #360

  _____