[C38] blocked cockpit drain

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 31 14:50:35 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 08:21 -0700, Patrick Harpole wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    My drains drain slowly….is DRANO OK?
>
> Patrick

Hi, Patrick,
	Inside the drains is a small ball, which is supposed to float up and
seal the drain when wave action strikes it from below, but water above
is supposed to push it down and escape.  These balls deteriorate and get
stuck in one position or the other, either letting waves inside or
causing water to be blocked or slow from leaving the cockpit.  Someone
once posted a source for the balls, and I think Catalina Direct offers
them on their website.  But to directly answer your question, NO! do not
put draino down the cockpit drains.  I don't think it would do much good
anyway because it is formulated to deal with organic material, not the
salt and calcification that affects seawater plumbing.  Also I don't
think draino is good for the environment, being caustic and all that.

Regards,
Les H