[C38] Attention Southern Cal skippers

S. Orton ssorton at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 1 00:55:32 EDT 2007

Southern Cal skippers, I need your suggestions.

September 15-16 Shoreline YC in Long Beach is hosting our Cat 38 Nationals.  Traditionally this has been a wind/leeward race format with strict class rules-i.e. type of sails used.  Last year we had only five boats on the start line.  This year the skipper of one of the leading contenders hasn't even joined our association.  So we could only have four at the start line, which is not acceptable due to the effort and dollars it takes to put on the event for so few participants.  I have talked to a few off shore racers who won't attend mainly due the large number of crew ( 6-10) required for wind/leeward races to be competitive.  I know how hard it is to find crew as we have done Wednesday evening races with just three.  A few racers have said that a random leg would help a small crew as there would be less spin sets.  Another suggestion would be to use PHRF off sets to get boats with fixed props, no spinnakers etc. to the start line.

 In the past it has been a fun weekend, but the venue needs to change to keep the Cat 38 Nationals going.  We need more participants!

Please voice your opinion on what type of venue that would get your boat to the starting line- or just to attend dinner Saturday evening.

Thank you for your help,
Steve Orton 760-749-1869
(Santa Susanna)