[C38] Spinnakers

John Erlandson jserlandson at adelphia.net
Fri Aug 3 19:06:48 EDT 2007

I have a Quantum V-3 which is their all around spinnaker, with an ATN sock.
I was very surprised the first time I sailed it how easy to set sail and
douse with 2 or 3 people. I was also surprised at how far it would rotate to
windward, 8 to 10 feet past the head stay when the sheet was eased when
running deep of the wind. When I bought it they convinced me to go with .75
oz to maximize the light to moderate wind range. If I had gone with the 1.5
oz the sail would have a higher wind range but would collapse in light air
especially when going deep. I have used it in as little as 6 to 8 knots with
ease and as much as 18 knots. The boat was still easy to drive in the higher
winds and fast, I did 8.2 to 8.8 knots for 5 miles with a power boat size
wake behind me.
John Erlandson
Mal de Mer