[C38] Attention Southern Cal skippers

mark turner empty1 at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 10 18:52:11 EDT 2007

Just a thought - we East Coast  Boats (The Ghost Fleet) could easily feel left out. Maybe some could be tempted over to crew on the West Coast Boats at the Nationals.

Maybe, The Nationals could be some sort of informal Rally forming a back ground to the racing which could be less formal.I would love to race, but l suspect like some others cannot afford the expense and time to be competitive in one design racing. Handicapping makes all sorts of boats 'winners' and maybe have secondary prizes for different categories, eg a prize for the best boat crewed entirely by members of one family.
www.roundtheisland.org.uk/web/code/php/main.php?section=home

My previous boat was an Elizabethan, and this was how they organised their annual 'Nationals'. in the UK. Because they had to race a mixed fleet of different Elizabethan Designs they used a handicap formula (I think PYS) to decide the overall winner.
http://www.eoa.org.uk/goldengalleontrophy.htm

Those who attended but didn't want to race their boats strengthened the crews of those who had race readied their boats.

It might just encourage those, especially family boats to attend as non racers and maybe fire up some enthusiasm in their youngsters. After all, they are any organisations future.
Best Wishes and hope to see some C 38's on the Chesapeake in September.

Mark Turner. The Goose C 38 #80 (Solomons.MD).