[C38] Attention Southern Cal skippers

John Erlandson jserlandson at adelphia.net
Thu Aug 2 12:30:44 EDT 2007

How about point to point racing? YC to YC or to Catalina and back with an overnight stop at Two Harbors. Buoy racing with large crews and symmetrical spinnakers are unrealistic for an older class of boat whose owners are mostly cruising oriented. The Newport to Ensenada race usually has quite a few C38's due to flexibility of PHRF ratings. I see plenty of C38's around Newport /Long beach areas and at Catalina. The owners I have spoken to have no interest in dealing with a crew or investing in symmetrical spinnakers and all the equipment required to fly them. The ability to race with whatever type of equipment you have and a stopover party may bring more entries and fun to the C38 class. My personal experiences with a large modern asymmetrical spinnaker with  a sock on the C38 have been easy to set  and sail with as little as two people. The boat is fast on all points but a dead run and well mannered which is not always the case with symmetrical spinnakers.
John Erlandson
C38 #291
Mal de Mer