[C38] main sheet

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Mon Oct 22 15:12:13 EDT 2007

William Knowles wrote:
> Has anyone used a different mainsheet configration?
> Like a 6 to 1 block set up directily on the track? Can
> the track stand the strain or do you have to stay with
> the factory set-up.

On Macavity we have changed both the mainsheet arrangement and the
traveler control lines. We have 5 or 6 to one thru blocks between the
car and boom. The mainsheet then goes forward to a turning block which
runs it aft along the deck (and under the dodger when that is on) to the
starboard winch on the cabin top. I ripped out the side blocks on the
traveler car and rigged 6 to 1 control lines which also go to turning
blocks running them underneath the dodger to cleats on the cabin top. On
Macavity we have replaced all our Gerhowser blocks with Harken. The most
difficult change but the best was to install Harken adjustable tracks
and cars for the genoa sheet instead of the original. That installation
was a long story (I commissioned the boat myself) available on request.
Joe Launie, Commodore, Cat 38 International Assn, Macavity, #365.