[C38] fuel leak

Gus Woods GWOODS at dineout.org
Thu Oct 25 10:38:23 EDT 2007

When I had a similar problem my local marine welding shop told me the Coast Guard does not allow them to repair tanks that way. I do not know if that is just an issue with aluminum or all metals or perhaps they did not want to do it. My friend had his steel tank repaired at an inland shop and they made no mention of it.

I spent the summer operating from a six gallon outboard tank that I had purchased to incorporate Tom's refueling method but I sail on the Chesapeake and it takes me a long time to use six gallons of fuel ( have a Yanmar engine that returns fuel to the filter rather than the tank.). This winter I will install a fiberglass tank that I have modified for my boat.

>>> DRS <drstrong at ucdavis.edu> 10/24/2007 5:31 PM >>>
Les: Thanks for your insight. I have used small sections cut from fuel
absorbent pads to localize the leak. It is on an edge weld of the tank.
If I cant stem the leak with epoxy (everyone including my wife says that
I've reading too much Beatrix Potter; no way that epoxy could ever stem
a diesel leak with glue-I am beginning to believe them) I will remove
the tank and take it to a welding shop.
   The pads are very good for keeping the mess to a minimum. No diesel
has made it to the sea.
Don