[C38] performance

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Sat Oct 27 22:01:06 EDT 2007

Kenneth M. Sutto wrote:
>   I recently bought a '83 Catalina. I am in the process of getting to
> know the boat and how it handles. It has the standard Universal 21hp
> engine and two blade prop. My big problem is every time I try to back
> out of my slip the stern wants to got to the port no matter which
> way I turn the wheel.  I have a tight slip length and width wise.
> Is there some way I can get more control performance wise other than
> getting a bigger engine? Would a three blade prop help? What is the
> best way to turn the wheel once I get water flowing past the rutter?
> Ken  Catalina #251

Ken,
    Your answer is to get a Max-prop feathering propellor, 2 or 3 blade.
The feathering prop will greatly improve your performance under sail but
the best feature is that it gives you much more control in reverse. The
feathering prop is just as efficient in reserve as forward. The only
reason to get the 2 blade is cost. The 3 blade will enable you to stop
the boat almost within its own length.  Max-prop is the most expensive
alternative out there but I think it is well worth the money. I have
used mine for 16 years with no problems. Joe Launie, C-38 Commodore,
Macavity # 365