[C38] prop walk

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Sat Oct 27 22:05:41 EDT 2007

Dear Ken: We have as much prop walk as any fin keel modern sail boat.
One way to deal with it is to place the rudder exactly in the center,
then hit the reverse throttle as hard as you can. When the boat begins
to move well, back off on the throttle. The hard throttle will move
further to stern than to the side.
regards, Don

Kenneth M. Sutto wrote:
>   I recently bought a '83 Catalina. I am in the process of getting to
> know the boat and how it handles. It has the standard Universal 21hp
> engine and two blade prop. My big problem is every time I try to back
> out of my slip the stern wants to got to the port no matter which
> way I turn the wheel.  I have a tight slip length and width wise.
> Is there some way I can get more control performance wise other than
> getting a bigger engine? Would a three blade prop help? What is the
> best way to turn the wheel once I get water flowing past the rutter?
> Ken  Catalina #251

Donald R. Strong
Professor
Department of Evolution and Ecology