[C38] prop walk

eyriepg at comcast.net eyriepg at comcast.net
Sun Oct 28 01:53:21 EDT 2007

I agree with both Joe Launie and with Don Strong.  I bought a MaxProp 3 blade about 3 years ago hoping that I would get rid of prop walk.  It didn't get rid of the prop walk, but I can get the boat moving in reverse quickly enough that, when I back off on the power, the rudder can steer the boat whereever I want it to go.

Phil Gay
C38 049 Que Linda
Everett, WA

From: Don Strong <drstrong at ucdavis.edu>
Dear Ken: We have as much prop walk as any fin keel modern sail boat. One way to deal with it is to place the rudder exactly in the center, then hit the reverse throttle as hard as you can. When the boat begins to move well, back off on the throttle. The hard throttle will move further to stern than to the side.
regards, Don

Kenneth M. Sutto wrote:
I recently bought a '83 Catalina. I am in the process of getting to know the boat and how it handles. It has the standard Universal 21hp engine and two blade prop. My big problem is every time I try to back out of my slip the stern wants to got to the port no matter which way I turn the wheel. I have a tight slip length and width wise.
Is there some way I can get more control performance wise other than getting a bigger engine? Would a three blade prop help? What is the best way to turn the wheel once I get water flowing past the rutter?
Ken Catalina #251