[C38] Cubic feet of air space

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 24 19:18:19 EST 2007

You can get a fair approximation on most boats by the cylinderical
volume / 2 * 0.8  Thus:
	Beam is diameter, so beam/2 is radius.
	Length overall is the cylinder length, 38'
	Thus :  5'11" is the radius (make it 6' for simpler math)
	and pi * r^2 is area thus 3.14159*6*6 is 113 square feet.
	divide that by 2 (because we only have half the cylinder) = 56.5
	multiply that by the length 56.5*38 = 2147 cubic feet as a 1/2
cylinder.
	and multiply that by 0.8 to allow for the shape of the boat = 1717.

	The 0.8 comes from the water plane area formula used by most sailboat
builders excluding those building the newer boats that carry the beam to
the stern, where the number is more like 0.88.

	A typical 1200 square foot small house is 9600 cubic feet interior
volume (8 foot ceilings) for comparison.  A 12x15x8 master bed room is a
good approximation at 1440 cubic feet.

Regards,
Les Howell