[C38] Some Good Information

Larry Malmberg larrypi at linkline.com
Wed Nov 28 13:06:35 EST 2007

We have been exploring batteries, always a concern for all of us.  One
manufacture's engineer offered us the following information, this may be
useful to the group so I'm passing it on.

The Basics of FLOODED batteries:

BENEFITS

1) Lower Cost.  Cost about 50% of any sealed battery type of equal size
(AGM, Gel)

2) Long Life, very robust.  Typically lasts 33-50% longer than any sealed
battery type of equal size (AGM, Gel)

3) Longer runtimes. (mileage). Typically provides 10-20% more capacity than
any sealed battery type of equal size (AGM, Gel)

4) Can be charged with any standard automotive type battery charger

4) Performs well in ALL cycling applications (light, moderate AND deep
cycling)

5) Can be charged with alternators

DRAWBACKS

1) Maintenance (monthly watering needed)

2) Messy (requires cleaning)

3) Corrosion. (Connections require cleaning)

4) Spillable.  Flooded batteries must be mounted upright

5) Battery produces gasses (Hydrogen is generated while charging)

6) Can freeze in extremely cold Temperature's causing permanent damage.

DRAWS

1) Charges at the same rate as any sealed battery type (AGM, Gel)

The Basics of GEL batteries:

BENEFITS

1) Maintenance free (no watering needed)

2) Performs well in ALL cycling applications (light, moderate AND deep
cycling)

3) Very, clean and easily movable (not messy, no acid grime on battery top)

4) Clean connections (No corrosion on terminals)

4) GEL batteries can be mounted on their sides with no loss in performance

5) Battery does not produce any gasses

6) Can survive extremely cold Temperature's

DRAWBACKS

1) Higher Cost.  Cost between 1.5 - 2.0 times more than a flooded battery of
equal size

2) Reduced runtime (mileage). 80-90% runtime of a flooded battery of equal
size

3) Reduced Life.  50 -75 % lifetime of a flooded battery of equal size

4) Requires a charger with an GEL setting/profile (aka SEALED, VRLA) or it
can be dead in a few weeks.

5) Cannot be charged by most alternators.

DRAWS

1) Charges at the same rate as both flooded and AGM battery types.

The Basics of AGM batteries:

BENEFITS

1) Low Maintenance (no watering needed)

2) Non-spillable. AGM batteries can be mounted on their sides with no loss
in performance

3) Very, clean and easily movable (not messy, no acid grime on battery top)

4) Clean connections (No corrosion on terminals)

4) Battery does not produce any gasses

5) Can be charged with most alternators

6) Can survive extremely cold Temperature's

DRAWBACKS

1) Higher Cost.  Cost between 1.5 - 2.0 times more cost of an equal sized
flooded battery

2) Reduced Life.  50 -75 % lifetime of an equal sized flooded battery

3) Reduced runtime. (mileage). 80-90% runtime of an equal sized flooded
battery

4) Requires a charger with an AGM setting/profile (aka SEALED, VRLA) or it
can be dead in a few months.

5) Performs well in light to moderate cycling applications (but poorly in
deep cycling)

DRAWS

1) Charges at the same rate as both flooded and GEL battery types.

Best regards,

Larry Malmberg-President

Larry Malmberg Investigations and Security, Inc.
505 North Arrowhead Avenue - Suite 510
San Bernardino, CA 92401-1200
909-383-8565, 800-655-4549 Facsimile 909-383-8566
PI 15211, PPO 112446

www.larrypi.com

All incoming and outgoing e mail is scanned with Norton AntiVirus.

Civil and Criminal, Surveillance, Internal Investigations, Personal and
Personnel Protection, GPS Tracking and Rental, Notary.

"The American Indians found out what happens when  you don't control
immigration"

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming; WOW-- What a
Ride!"

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic message, including any attachments,
confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, copying,
use, disclosure or distribution of any parts of the contents of this
message/information is prohibited by federal law. Attempts to intercept this
message are in violation of Title 18 USC 2511(1) of the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act (ECPA), which subjects the interceptor to fines,
imprisonment and/or civil damages. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the