[C38] wind instrument

Kenneth M. Sutto kmspacific at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 14 20:17:28 EDT 2008

    My apparent wind/wind speed indicator is broken. I beleive it is the original one on the boat. Datamarine, Corinthian Series LX-360 "Wind Machine".  The problem is two fold. 1. The masthead unt is worn out and the plastic is split in a couple of places. If I can get another masthead unit it might make things easier. This brings us to the next problem. 2. The twist knurled nut connection to the cable comming up the mast has a pin broken off in it. The mast end of the cable is the male end and one of the pins is broke and stuck in the masthead unit plug. If I can replace the masthead unit is it possible to replace the male end of the cable in the mast? From the information I received via phone calls, I have to call back east to a place called DMI Marine.
    I don't know if I can get a replacement masthead unit or not. I was told that the unit is too old to replace. I haven't called DMI yet, they are closed. If I can get a replacement would it be logical to cut the male end of the cable off at the mast and hard wire the unit to it?
     If I can't replace the unit the next step is to spend more mony on a new unit. Any suggestions on what is good? I don't know if I can get something that will intergrate with my Garman 545s gps. That would mean that I would have to keep my gps on all the time when sailing.
     Any help, any input?   Thabks.

     Ken Sutto       "Sundancer"   #251