[C38] Galley plumbing

phil phil317 at sunflower.com
Thu Oct 2 13:59:42 EDT 2008

When I bought Our Tern, the salt water galley pump and plumbing was abandoned in place.  The supply came from a tee in the diesel's raw water supply.  This seems like a dubious plan to me. Does anyone else have this arrangement; and does the diesel suck air back through the system?  The only other choices would be the toilet intake in the bow and the new ac intake installed by the PO.  The toilet intake can overflow the toilet, so we leave it off.  The ac has the same problem with suction, but it wouldn't be dammaged by sucking air- it just wouldnt work as well.

If you do have this galley supply, please tell me if you use a cheapie backflow preventer, a vacuum break, or something more substantial to prevent backflow.

My inclination is to put a vacuum breaker loop on the toilet supply and tee off of it.  But if there isn't a problem, I guess I won't bother.

--
Phil Sweet

Cat38 158 Our Tern
Key Largo, Fl.